January 15

Received my copy of the Denver Quarterly in the mail today, with my review of DBQ’s book from two years ago. Always prompt. Looking it over, it’s difficult to refrain from wincing. I wonder if I will always judge my own work so harshly, find it needlessly verbose at times, transparently fixated at others. The one thing I would surely not change would be the note of praise for a spellbinding work.

I have decided, sitting here, recollecting a few Wyath sketches, piecing together my own day spent again in the salal pruning, Willa on constant vigil about me, that there is perhaps no greater peace than watching a dog sleep. The stretches, the flexing paws, the sighs. When any tempest abides, there is quick salve here, in simple witness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crow Pass Crossing

January 20

Dogs First