July 4

Independence Day, a little haze blown from the Kantishna fire to the west, but otherwise another in a series of beautiful days stacked one atop the other, the sky absent of cloud, blue behind the faint gossamer smoke, the snow on the peaks sharp & sun-soaked. Awakening today feeling disoriented, jarred a bit just as I had prior to California. Maybe endemic to the cabin, maybe local to my slow cruxing. Walked for four hours to post office & back yesterday before working to eleven, & maybe just thrown from that, but there is an odd familiarity in this heaviness, a kind of consanguinity with the worst of it over these last months. The in-fighting, selves in violent combat somewhere in me where words cannot reach. Amazing what remains obscure in you, what refuses clarity, what wages on obstinate against every inquiry into disposition. & I have grown so accustomed to this leaden weight in my chest, this awful sadness enwreathing my heart, that it seems a miracle simply to breath. The physical sensation of it unrelenting, poised just on the cusp of some brimming over, meniscus of the manageable. & a little panic here & there a self-yeast, catalyst to its eruption. & then I breath more, & settle, & it lodges back where it started. But this is progress, I suppose.

& in the meantime wondering if I might be driven to wit’s end by Roy, whose idiosyncrasies are impossible to describe, & whose slovenliness would almost be impressive in its rounded commitment if I didn’t have to cohabitate with it. At home, it is as if he perches at the table doing nothing, admiring the kitchen he’s ransacked & dirtied, waiting until I appear so he can repeat his stories over & again, slowly & in excruciating detail. & so it is at home. & at work, between calls he continues the same stories over & again, & then fumbles at every radio contact, every telephone call. & never a shower. I have seen him use the restroom only four times since I arrived. This is a mystery to me. How he is in the world is a mystery to me. Every day I lose more patience, find myself less tolerant, sharper-tongued, quicker to escape. By the summer’s end I may be living outside in a pitched tent just to avoid further contact.

Well. What a life. Now off to bake halibut before heading from home (with Roy) to work (with Roy). & swiftly & such & so on go the days.

Comments

jp said…
Now, I could be way off base here, and sometimes I'm not the best judge of character or species, but are you certain that Roy is not a Yeti?
ap said…
if only he were as elusive, as secretive, as vague-of-form as the yeti. alas, there is nothing questionable about his existence, even if there is much to question about it.

Popular posts from this blog

Crow Pass Crossing

Suggestions

Dogs First