Wildness & Spring

The cedar waxwings have moved along. The cormorants still flock in the gloaming, pointed west, with their numbers reducing by the day. Herons seem to bunch together, weaving in & out of one another’s company in the spring, displaying perhaps a bit less timidity when the kids rush to the windows or porch railings to point in wonder. & lately, the hummingbirds have returned. They hover at the windows, looking at the drawings of monsters Ada did to deter the prior passerine crowd from running into the glass. They seem genuinely interested, spending a moment at each drawing before moving politely to the next. & all the birds compassed north have flown but us, but we go about the business of packing, unburdening ourselves of more things, selling off the car, trying to organize what we can in the face of so many variables & unknowns. 


The spring in Texas has been windy, almost without exception or cease. Yellow pollen coats every surface, but the flowers erupt in kaleidoscopic color, & green-up down here is richly saturated & everywhere in evidence. It’s odd, to have a season draw you in in a place that repels immersion in the natural world. That vernal surge in energy here, I suppose, means driving to some store or other, or a Sonic. I will, & this is a promise, sing with joy upon stepping foot on a mountainside again, some barren ridgeline zigzagging from granitic tor to sumping tundra, pointing skyward & cleaving the clouds. I will run until my lungs burn & will weep with joy when they do. I feel, this close to being there again, all the giddiness of reunification with one central in the heart’s affections. I will take my grief unto the edge of all that bright country, & I will let them converse a bit, & acquaint themselves. How I have missed wildness, all of its unadorned & unsentimental space unclaimed & unclaimable. How I’ve missed what it does to us all. 


It is the audience, I think, for every animal surge of feeling the heart compels. Its rawness & slow time & your singularity within it, a solipsist in a world itself so utterly & exhaustingly nihilistic. Being a human in a wild place like being anchored in a windstorm-- everything cuts & clarifies, nothing appertains, & ultimately you stand & endure because you will your meaning into it before withdrawing, knowing that for all of the cataclysms it wrought in you, you were nothing at all to it. The river closes again behind the boulder, carries along, still fulgently itself. 


& what I’ve found every time I’ve carried my meaning into a wilderness isn’t its erasure or its dwarfing under scrutinies of scale-- I’ve found instead what is intrepid, whittled down, compounded diamond, all the filigree worn down. I have found honesty & compassion with & for myself, both generally harder to uncover than might be expected. It is a language I can speak, & one I’ve not felt upon my tongue for a long time, even when I’ve ached for its syllabary. & so I find myself, in spite of what weighs upon me, already leaning into that particular sublimity of hearing the varied thrush in an Alaskan spring-- a place known & numinous & vast enough to contain every exhalation of joy & sorrow alike.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crow Pass Crossing

January 20

Dogs First